In a recent post, I share a 3-day Itinerary for Santorini. As most would be initially landing Athens so I wanted to share tips on how to get from Athens to Santorini. Your options for ferries or flight. If you are flying from London, Manchester, Rome, Milan, Madrid or Helsinki, you be happy to know that there are direct flights to Santorini. For everyone else, chances are that you will have to first land in Athens and Santorini after that.
This is a great way to experience both Athens and Santorini. I would recommend 2-3 day in Athens and another 3 days in Santorini but allocate more if you have time as both are special places worth not missing out on. I will do an itinerary that includes both soon. Athens is known as the home of civilization and mythology, and Santorini is popular for its idyllic beaches and sunsets. As is the case with most of the Greek islands, reaching one island to the next is not that cumbersome as there are plenty of options. The means of transport include ferries, flights. The quickest are flights of course.
Getting From Athens To Santorini By Ferry Boat
On an average, it takes around 2 hours by a ferry and it is the cheapest way to reach Mykonos if you have a fixed budget set.
Ferry Services From Athens To Santorini
The Blue Star ferries operate between Athens and Santorini almost throughout the year. By late March, the others too join in. During summertime, there are close to 4 or more ferries plying between the 2 places. The following are the major ferry service providers:
- Sea Jets: Champion Jet 1 by Sea Jets leaves Athens at 7:00 A.M. and reaches Santorini at 11:55 A.M. The travel time is around 5 hours, which is the least because of the high-speed boat. This runs on all days except Tuesdays. 84.7 Euros is the cost of a ride.
The Sea Jet 2 starts from Athens at 7:01 A.M. in the morning and reaches the destination by 12:30 P.M. This is also a high-speed boat but travel time is 5 hours 29 minutes. It runs on all days of the week other than Tuesdays.
- Blue Star Ferries: Blue Star Delos leaves Athens by 7:25 A.M. and arrives at Santorini destination at 3:10 P.M. This is a comparatively long duration ferry ride since the boat is a conventional ferry. It runs on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The cost is around 49 Euros.
Blue Star Paros is an evening ferry starting from Athens at 5:30 P.M. and reaching Santorini port at 1:15 A.M. The cost is 49 Euros. It operates only on Saturdays.
The Blue Star 2 departs Athens at 6 in the evening, reaching Santorini at 12:35 A.M. on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Zante Ferries: They operate a vessel called Dionisios Solomos, which leaves Athens at 7:15 A.M. and reaches Santorini at 7:30 P.M. The journey time is 12 hours 15 minutes and the cost is 48.5 Euros. They offer the rides on Saturdays, Mondays and Wednesdays.
- Hellenic Seaways: Nissos Chios is a conventional ferry, leaving Athens at 4:30 P.M. and reaching Santorini at 12:15 A.M. It runs on Mondays, Fridays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. The cost is 49 Euros.
- Aigaion Pelagos: They operate F/B Prevelis. It departs Athens by 6:00 P.M. reaching Santorini by 2:50 A.M. The journey time is 8 hours and 50 minutes, and the rides are available on Fridays and Tuesdays. The cost of the ferry ride is 47 Euros.
Booking Tickets For the Ferry Boats Between Athens And Santorini
The websites where the ferry tickets can be booked are listed below:
- FerryHopper. Com
Some of the well-known ferry operators that offer a ride between Athens and Santorini are:
- Sea Jet – Astoggos and Akti Tzelepi 2, 185 31 Piraeus, Call Center: 210 4121001, 210 4121901, For reservations, contact: 210 4190233, 210 4101480, E-mail: email@example.com
- Blue Star Ferries – 1-7 Lysikratuous & Evripidou Street, 17674 Kallithea, Athens, Greece, Contact Number: +30-210-8919800, Fax Number: +30-210-8919829, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hellenic Seaways – 6 Astiggos St., Karaiskaki Sq., 185 31 Piraeus, Greece, Contact Numbers: +30 210 4199100, 24/7 Call Center: +30 210 4199000, E-mail: email@example.com
- Zante Ferries – Fillelinon 4-6 (2nd Floor), Piraeus, PC: 185 36, Contact Number: +30 210 4100211 – 210 4100212
- Aigaion Pelagos – 24 Akti Kondili St. 18545, Piraeus, Contact Number: +30 210 4197470, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
When ferries are booked in advance, you have to pick the tickets at the port, just prior to sailing. Arriving an hour before the departure should be convenient enough.
Usually, the ferries never sell out and the tickets can be bought on the day of sailing. But prior online booking is recommended if you must have a particular ferry ride on a given day.
Traveling from Athens To Santorini By Air
Flights to Santorini From Athens.
Of course, flying between any 2 ports is the fastest possible route. There are several flights operating between Athens and Greece. They are listed below:
- Ryanair: The total trip duration is 50 minutes. The flight takes off from the Athens airport at 7:00 A.M. and lands at Santorini port by 7:50 A.M. The ticket costs $89.77.
- One more flight is a late night one, leaves at 11:15 P.M. and reaches Santorini by 12:05 A.M. This too costs $89.77 and the same duration of time as the previous one.
- Olympic Airlines: This airline leaves Athens at 7:15 A.M. and reaches Santorini by 8 A.M. It is a non-stop flight, taking 45 minutes and costing $105.26.
- Another flight from Olympic Air departs at 5:15 A.M. from Athens and arrives at Santorini by 6 A.M. The trip is of 45 minutes and costs $119.87.
- Another one leaves at 7:50 P.M. and lands at 8:35 P.M. This would cost you $179.51.
- Volotea: This non-stop flight departs from Athens at 6 P.M. and reaches Santorini at 6:55 P.M. The single-way trip will cost you about $110.19.
- Yet another Volotea flight leaves Athens at 10:45 A.M. and arrives to Santorini at 11:40 A.M., costing $146.70.
- Sky Express: This flight takes off from Athens airport at 8:30 A.M., reaching Santorini by 9:25 A.M. $157.14 is an approximate cost of the trip.
- There is one more flight taking off from Athens in the evening at 4:50 P.M., reaching Santorini at 5:45 P.M. It costs $157.14.
- Another Sky Express flight departs at 6 P.M. and arrives at Santorini by 6:55 P.M. The cost is the same.
- One more departs at 2 P.M., arriving at 3 P.M.
- Hahn Air: Their airplane takes off from the Athens airport at 4:50 P.M., reaching Santorini at 5:45 P.M. The ticket costs about $199.57.
- One more flight takes off at 6 P.M. and arrives at 6:55 P.M.
- Another one takes off at 2 P.M. and arrives at 3 P.M. All the tickets of Hahn Air Systems cost the same.
All of the above-mentioned flights are non-stop flight from Athens to Santorini.
Pin For Later