Lisbon’s Pink Street on Rua Nova do Carvalho | Best Lisbon Nightlife Spots

Pink Street in Lisbon on Rua Nova do Carvalho | The Heart Of Lisbon's Night Life

Head of Pink Street in Lisbon? One cannot go to Lisbon without sampling the nightlife and fun activities in Lisbon. Lisbon’s Pink Street on Rua Nova do Carvalho is one such place breaming with clubs, bars, and restaurants. Rua Nova do Carvalho turned “Pink Street” as part of a rehabilitation project in 2011 to turn former Lisbon red light district into a trendy spot for nightlife.

Lisbon’s nightlife is not the only thing that draws people here. Pink Street now draws a much different crowd than it did in the past. In the days before Tinder ‘dating’ app red light districts were very much part of many urban areas where the was a small concentration of prostitution and sex-oriented business.

Pink Street was very much that. This was where sailors came seeking a good time in the company of a woman of the night.  The regeneration of the area around Rua Nova do Carvalho was very much to change the area well known for its seedy reputation.

Also See:

RUA NOVA DO CARVALHO | LISBON PINK STREET

Rua Nova do Carvalho is now the place to head to for a night out or if you after a bite to eat during the day. It’s filled with bars and restaurants that you can work your way through and then dance the calories away at night. The area is now a lot tamer than it used to be and welcomes families with kids as the area is lined with restaurants that fill the patios but at night is when this place comes alive.

The streets go from a tame instagrammable Pink Street to people-filled bar-hopping lanes for men and women wishing to let their hair down. Bars and clubs here are open from early evening until 3am and some with music only stopping at 6am, bring real meaning to party until the sun comes up. A friend and I snuck up to Pink Street before the bustle started to pick up.

For places to check ou in the area see below. For tips on what to see and do in the city, hotels and apartments in Lisbon and near Rua Nova do Carvalho, tours to check out from food tours to pub crawls check out Get Your Guide. I have more on Lisbon to come soon but in the meantime, you can also check out my city guides on the blog.

rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon Pink Street
 rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon Pink Street
 rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon Pink Street
 rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon Pink Street

PENSÃO AMOR ON LISBON’S PINK STREET

While in Lisbon’s Pink Street one little gem you cannot miss out on is Pensao Amor. It can be accessed from the top of the street on Rua do Alecrim as well as via Pink Street. I personally prefer the entrance to Pink Street as you climb up the stairs to get to the bar you are presented with beautiful murals on the walls around the stairs, a glimpse into its past life.

Once you are inside, you are immersed into this bold world of ‘Pension of Love'(a translation of Pensao Amor).  Pensao Amor used to house a brothel. It’s decor still includes a stripper pole in one of the rooms. Bold and colourful decor of vintage posters and ornaments of burlesque dancers, large mirrors, and chandeliers.

When we hear about the cocktails, of course, we had to stay for a drink or two having been invited in just as they were opening. The perfect time to rest instragamming-photographer fingers for a minute or two.

rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon Pink Street
 rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon Pink Street rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon Pink Street
Lisbon's Pink Street on Rua Nova do Carvalho | The Heart Of Lisbon's Night Life
 rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon | Lisbon's Pink Street on Rua Nova do Carvalho | The Heart Of Lisbon's Night Life rua nova do carvalho - Pink Street Lisbon

PENSAO AMOR DECOR ON PINK STREET IN LISBON

Pensao Amor’s rooms are no longer charged at the hour. The beautiful and bold coloured decor of Pink Street’s gem still features a stripper pole with a distinctive cabaret vibe and maintains the intimate and seductive atmosphere that one can’t resist showing a leg between the bold curtains.

Whether you are into clubbing or just love a good cocktail to chill out in the afternoon sun, Pink Street is one place you need to add to your places to see and explore in Lisbon.

rua nova do carvalho - Pink Street Lisbon
 rua nova do carvalho - Pink Street Lisbon
 rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon

LISBON NIGHTLIFE  | PINK STREET LISBON RESTAURANTS BARS AND CLUBS

Pink Street is located near the old port along the riverside in downtown Lisbon but is also a short walk from the hustle and bustle of Rua Augusta’s Arch. Pink Street in its past life was never a place you wanted to venture and unless you were looking for trouble.

This was where thieves, prostitutes, and people looking for rooms charged at the hour would be hanging out. With regeneration all that has been turned on its head. You have cool clubs drawing in locals and tourists alike. Music and food, what more could one need for an evening of chillout session.

Pink Street has some cool spots. In addition to Pensao Amor above below are there more places to add to your list.

NIGHTLIFE IN LISBON | POVO

This place comes with a resident singer during the week as you enjoy cocktails and tapas. On the weekend there is a DJ. If you arrive earlier there is food and cocktails served in the outdoor seating as the night draws in.

NIGHTLIFE IN LISBON | MUSIC BOX

If you are after live music and a dance floor this is the place to be. It’s been Lisbon’s hottest nightspot for over a decade. You can dancer yourself to a fit bode from 11pm until 6am. Yep, definitely no need for a gym membership you can squeeze in a few dance session a couple of times a week.

NIGHTLIFE IN LISBON | SOL E PESCA

This little spot would be mistaken for a fish tackle shop but serves up a delicious fish dishes and drinks to boot. Smoked tuna comes highly recommended here.

Other clubs nearby on Pink Street include Viking, Copenhagen, and Discoteca, in addition to many evening tours available in the city.

VIDEO OF LISBSON’S PINK STREET ON RUA NOVA DO CARVALHO AT NIGHT

Lisbon's Pink Street on Rua Nova do Carvalho | The Heart Of Lisbon's Night Life
Lisbon's Pink Street on Rua Nova do Carvalho | The Heart Of Lisbon's Night Life
 rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon Pink Street

WHERE TO STAY IN LISBON:

During my stay in Lisbon I stayed in the popular Barrio Alto, another little gem in the city I will soon be telling you about. For hotels in Lisbon check my guide on the best areas to stay in Lisbon. You can also head to hotel booking sites such as Booking.com, Agoda and Trivago. I will be sharing more on my exploration of Lisbon and Sintra soon.

Lisbon's Pink Street - Rua Nova do Carvalho

More On Europe:

Pin to your travel board

rua nova do carvalho - Lisbon Pink Street

32 Comments

1. October 7, 2017 / 8:10 pm

Pensao amor decor looks so freaking cool!! Had no idea this Lisbon pink street existed but it's so incredibly unique and pretty. hope to visit there someday! I will have to add Rua Nova do Carvalho on my list of places to visit in Lisbon. Cool pictures too.

2. October 7, 2017 / 11:54 pm

Since we travel as a family, my husband and I hardly ever get to experience any nightlife anywhere we go. And by the time our daughter is all grown up, we're going to be too old. 😉 I would still love to check out this area in the daytime, though! Your photos perfectly showcase the Pink Street's quirkiness! Hopefully, we can experience Pink Street’S Lisbon nightlife soon.

3. October 8, 2017 / 4:32 am

I was here in April! Rua Nova do Carvalho Lisboa is my absolute favourite places to hand out. Absolutely loved the area. We only spent daytime here as we were so tired and ended up going to bed early! So no Lisbon nightlife for us. 🙁 After seeing your pictures though its going back on my list for our next visit to Lisbon. Just need to figure out where we are going to stay in Lisbon next to so we can make sure this place stays on the itinerary.

4. October 15, 2017 / 2:33 pm

I'm going to Lisbon in November and will add this to my itinerary. Keen to check out Lisbon nightlife and entertainment. Will definitely be addint Pink Street bars to my list.,… Your photos look fab!
    Maya Not Mya

5. Billy
    September 27, 2018 / 2:36 pm

Lisbon’s Pink Street sure boasts of an amazing nightlife and fun activities. I was at Rua Nova do Carvalho and a friend took me to this pink street at night where I felt like I moved into another world. It’s pretty, lively and so much fun too. We are thinking of visiting again as apparently find the best bars on Pink Street in Lisbon.

6. Patrick Pink Street Lisbon Restuarants
    September 29, 2018 / 6:33 pm

Pink Street in Lisbon is a place I have always wanted to see in person since my teen years. I did a report on the area in High School and it has stuck with me since. My fiance and I are planning a trip to go there in early Spring and I am so excited to finally experience the nightlife in another country! Would you know of any Pink Street restaurants in Lisbon we should check out?

7. October 4, 2018 / 3:25 pm

You really make every place on your blogs look inviting, Bianca. I was writing elsewhere that I’m thinking of visiting Espana next summer. If so, I think I’ll have to pop in to Portugal too. I just learned Portuguese is a Romance language so it might not be as difficult to pick up as I thought because I know Latin. As a foodie, I’ll definitely be checking out some of this cuisine.

8. Tiffany James
    October 19, 2018 / 10:01 am

Yeah. Nightlife and fun activities in Lisbon has really changed to something really pleasant. I remembered the last time I was there and I couldn’t even come out on the third night of my stay but now I spend less time inside and a lot of time having fun in the streets of Lisbon. Lisbon Pink Street is such a cool place to hang out in the evenings. Glad you made it to this side of the city.

• October 20, 2018 / 8:07 pm

Yeap, Pink Street in Lisbon was definitely one of my favourite spots to check out.

9. Matthew
    October 20, 2018 / 9:57 pm

Definitely seems like a great area to visit if you’re looking to spend a good night out! The pictures really highlight the beauty of the area, great job.

10. Tracey
    October 31, 2018 / 11:55 pm

Beautiful pictures! We are visiting Portugal in February and have head so much about Lisbon Pink Street and looking at your picture of Pink Street in Lisbon, we know for sure that this is one places we wont want to miss out on. Especially as you have also listed some of the Lisbon Pink Street clubs and restaurants too. Thanks again!

• November 10, 2018 / 1:57 pm

Yes, this is such a cool place to check out. Pink Street Lisbon restaurants and clubs are some of the most character-filled places to visit in Lisbon because of the red light district history this area has.

11. Aly
    November 23, 2018 / 2:25 am

Love your pictures! I had no idea Lisbon Pink Street even existed. I thought the main nightlife place in Lisbon was Bairro Alto in Lisbon. My eyes have definitely been opened to more options. I travel to Lisbon a lot so I am keen to check this place out on my next visit. Thanks for the tip.

12. Curtis
    November 24, 2018 / 9:12 pm

This looks like an interesting place. I wonder if the would also be ideal for Lisbon student nightlife in terms of prices? Do you know the sort of price range for food and drinks in Pink Street?

13. Julieta
    December 6, 2018 / 10:56 pm

Awesome blog! We are heading to Lisbon for New Year’s Eve and have been trying to find tips on Lison nightlife areas. I had no idea Pink Street was all about the evening fun for adults. This is so cool. Looks like a cool instagrammable places for the daytime too.

14. Amy
    December 10, 2018 / 7:03 am

Wow, it’s very tempting for me I am a traveller and I love to experience nightlife at different places. So. thanks for sharing this article. I have experienced the nightlife other parts of Portugal so I am keen to see what the nightlife in Lisbon is like. Pink Street definitely is on my list.

15. Bella
    December 10, 2018 / 12:22 pm

Wow, its a very eye-popping place I want to check this spot as soon as I get to Lisbon. Love that your Lisbon nightlife guide also includes some quirky places in the city. I wonder if you know of any Lisbon jazz clubs as well?

16. Augustus
    December 10, 2018 / 9:30 pm

We were planing on visiting Pensao Amor in Lisbon when we stumbled on your post. I had no idea it was in Pink Street in Lisbon. So glad you also included details of how to get to Pink Street Lisbon as tthat was going to be our next question. Thanks!

• December 26, 2018 / 11:20 am

Have fun! Pensao Amor was one of my favorite places for nightlife is in Lisbon’s Pink Street.

17. Lemuel
    December 20, 2018 / 8:34 am

I absolutely love your blog and have been following for a while now. I am heading to Lisbon in July and new that you had covered it. I love that you also included the best bars and best clubs in Lisbon Pink Street. I am super excited to be visiting. I hope we get really good weather.

• December 26, 2018 / 11:17 am

So glad you are following the travels. I hope you get good weather too. Enjoy your visit of Lisbon.

18. Sasha
    December 22, 2018 / 10:17 am

This is so cool. I have been meaning to visit the famous pink street Lisbon has to offer. This is on my Lisbon itinerary for when I head to visit Lisbon in March. Cool pictures too.

• December 26, 2018 / 11:15 am

Yes, it is such a cool little spot to check out in Lisbon. Full of character. If you are heading to Lisbon I have a 3 day Lisbon itinerary you can check out.

19. January 29, 2019 / 5:09 am

This is cool. I’m headed to Lisbon in a couple months. I had no idea Pink Street in Lisbon was actually Rua Nova do Carvalho. What time did you go to Lisbon’s Pink Street, was it isn’t as crowded?

• January 29, 2019 / 3:01 pm

Hi Jessica,

We went in the afternoon, I think probably around 3 or 4pm. I think Pink Street gets busy after 6pm when all the cafes and restaurants open in the early evening.

20. Melissa
    February 15, 2019 / 4:06 am

Such amazing pictures I am dying to visit the Pink Street area in Lisbon. This looks like the best Instagram spot in Lisbon. I am so excited for my trip now.

21. Aly
    February 21, 2019 / 3:00 pm

We were looking for the cool and unique best bars Lisbon in Pink Street are glad we found your post as there is no way we would have been able to find this place without your blog. Thanks to your Pink Street Lisbon directions.

• February 26, 2019 / 12:44 pm

I hope you had a drink on me 😀 Thanks for your comment.

22. Billy
    February 22, 2019 / 5:12 am

We really enjoyed our visit to one of Pink Street Lisbon restaurants having seen your post on Pink Street Lisbon on instagram. Also loved the fact that you also included details on how to get to Pink Street in Lisbon. Thank you soo much.

• February 26, 2019 / 12:41 pm

Awesome stuff. Glad you found this useful.

23. Linda
    February 24, 2019 / 10:44 pm

I loved our visit to Lisbon Pink Street. I actually found it because of your post. I was looking for pink street Lisbon location when I stumbled on your post and didnt realise the history of Lisbon Pink Street as well as the now cool bars and resturants in Pink Street. We actually came for the photos but stay for the clubs too.

• February 26, 2019 / 12:37 pm

Yes this place has such amazing history and definitely well visiting. I am glad you enjoyed your visit.