The Witchery in Edinburgh | Fine Dining In The Secret Garden by The Castle

The Witchery by the Castle - Witchery in Edinburgh secret garden

My weekend escape to Edinburgh was filled with long walks around a town that oozes atmosphere and sophistication in its mystery from history inherited. This is in addition to checking out The Witchery in Edinburgh, a hidden gem that is a must when you visit Edinburgh. I love a unique dining experience and have sometimes traveled miles just for the indulgence. Check out my dining experience on Spitbank Fort –  a man-made island on the Solent.   Living in London, one of the world’s most popular cities, when it comes to food, you can get pretty much anything. This applies to Edinburgh too. On this occasion, I didn’t want the usual eatery I could find any and everywhere. I had my eyes firmly locked on one place; The Witchery By The Castle. I guess you can say I was bewitched from the moment I found out about it.

The Food at the Witchery in Edinburgh

You may have seen me post a sneak peek of  The Witchery by the Castle on my Facebook. Situated in in the heart of the Royal Mile, with the Edinburgh Castle for its neighbour. It’s no surprise the likes of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sir Cameron Macintosh, two gurus from the theatre industry have frequented the legendary food served up in The Witchery’s Secret Garden restaurant. Accessed via a tiny passageway leading to a small courtyard. It’s an escape from the busy streets on the Royal Mile that perch on its doorstep. The Secret Garden holds on to its charm long after its opening in 1989. You enter via a pulpit reception and descend the stone stairs that reveals a secluded terrace.  Entirely lit by candles, dark wood paneling, beamed ceiling, luxurious tables beautifully decorated with flowers and candles creating the perfect ambiance for a magical and romantic setting.
the Witchery in Edinburgh - The Witchery by the Castle
the Witchery in Edinburgh - The Witchery by the Castle

The Witchery By The Castle’s Secret Garden Restaurant

The Secret Garden allows you take a break from immersing yourself in Scottish history and culture to see another side of the city through its food! Impeccable food locally sourced and you can tell its cooked with love because it tastes so damn good.  If you are a foodie then this is definitely a spot you have to stop by. My personal recommendation; The Lamb Wellington, a pastry baked lamb loin stuffed with wild mushroom and chicken mousse wrapped in Serrano ham. Smoked aubergine pureé, served up with spring greens is just party central in the mouth! It was so good I wanted a second helping but at £60, I thought I would leave room for the dessert that promised to have me licking the plate too. There is also a set menu as well that won’t have your bank manager calling to check if all your marbles are still intact. I was also brave enough to try the Haggis – forgetting for a moment what its really made of. The food was flavourful with fine wine from a weighty book of world-class wines. The service is great, but because it’s so popular the tables have a 2-hour limit.
Witchery in Edinburgh - The Witchery by the Castle
the witchery in edinburgh
Witchery in Edinburgh - The Witchery by the Castle
the witchery in edinburgh

The Witchery Edinburgh Secret Garden Food Review

Though not the most inexpensive of places, if you are in the city and need a real treat or you want to take your partner for a special dining experience this is the place to be. That goes for the ladies too, you can take your boyfriend or husband instead of waiting for them to do it. It is 2014 after all! Your pocket may not thank me, but your taste buds will be doing the happy happy joy joy dance, that the bill would have been worth the dance. Below are some of the shots taken while the man was in mid-bite and hypnotized by the food that he couldn’t object to my Nikon lens salivating over the feast. Enjoy! For more on what to eat in Edinburgh, check out the post by blogger of With Husband In Tow.
the witchery edinburgh restaurant review
Witchery in Edinburgh
the witchery edinburgh restaurant review

The Witchery In Edinburgh Dress Code

Although a relaxed and inviting place, it seems a place for smart casual. We didn’t dress up to the nines but we a little smart than when we dined at the Witchery in Edinburgh. I don’t think they expect you in black tie but it’s not the place to turn up in trainers either. I really wish I had taken pictures of what we wore to give you an idea of  The Witchery in Edinburgh’s Dress Code but you can see what people are wearing in the images on the post just to give you more of an idea.
Witchery in Edinburgh
The Witchery by the Castle - Edinburgh - the witchery edinburgh restaurant review
the witchery edinburgh restaurant

The Witchery In Edinburgh Menu

There are several menus to chose from at the Witchery. This gives you an idea of prices depending on whether you are dining at The Witchery In Edinburgh at lunchtime, in for afternoon tea, or part of the theatre supper or dining a la carte. Prices range from £38 per person to about £80 for the a la carte. From memory, I think we paid about £160 for two people and it was worth every penny and the wine list is every bit as amazing as the food, although on this occasion we couldn’t afford some of the bottles of wine that fetch in excess of £6,000, yes you read that right! Menus for the dining options mentioned above can be found on The Witchery in Edinburgh menu section of the site here.
The Witchery by the Castle - Edinburgh -the witchery edinburgh restaurant
Witchery in Edinburgh
Witchery in Edinburgh - Fine Dining in Edinburgh
Witchery in Edinburgh
The Witchery by the Castle - Edinburgh - the witchery edinburgh secret garden
Witchery in Edinburgh
 the witchery edinburgh secret garden
The Witchery in Edinburgh
Witchery in Edinburgh
Witchery in Edinburgh
Witchery in Edinburgh

Staying At The Witchery by the Castle

The Witchery by the Castle also has a hotel the so you can enjoy fine dining and retreat to the beautiful rooms. The rooms are beautifully furnished suites display gothic touches, with large oak beds and 4-posters, velvet-lined walls and flamboyant red and gold décor indicative of the style.  Each of The Witchery’s 9 suites is different, but walk-in dressing rooms. Some rooms overlook Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, looking down towards Princes Street, or across to the old town. The Witchery’s seductive glamour has caught the attention of The Times, The Telegraph and Condé Nast Traveller, and many celebrity fans have enjoyed its suites. You can search for additional hotels in Edinburgh below.

Where to stay Hotels in Edinburgh

There are several options for accommodation in Edinburgh.

More on Edinburgh and UK:

46 Comments

1. August 28, 2014 / 6:00 pm

Elegant place, love the ambiance – looks so relaxed and atmospheric.

Rachel@safari254

• September 2, 2014 / 2:22 pm

It was very relaxed and such a real treat too. Add this to your list when you visit Edinburgh.

2. August 31, 2014 / 5:46 pm

As always beautiful photos Bee! Sounds like a fantastic place! Will have to add it to our bucket list 😀

• September 2, 2014 / 2:03 pm

Definitely do. I am sure you will enjoy it.

3. September 1, 2014 / 2:36 pm

Beautiful! I lived in Edinburgh but never visited this place further than the entrance. Looks very ambiant.. I'll have to research the menu and see if there is anything for veggies if I return to Edinburgh 🙂 This would be a beautiful setting for an intimate dinner for sure!

• September 2, 2014 / 2:04 pm

Yeah I am sure I spotted a few veggie options so you will be fine.

4. September 1, 2014 / 3:30 pm

It looks like this meal was a real treat! There are wonderful close-ups here 🙂

• September 2, 2014 / 2:17 pm

It was definitely that, a treat! Not a meal I can indulge in all the time 😀

• September 2, 2014 / 2:18 pm

Haha so then get on a train/flight to Edinburgh and munch! 😀

5. September 1, 2014 / 7:21 pm

I have heard nothing but good things about the Witchery Bianca, it looks absolutely amazing! We are looking to visit in December. Do you know the witchery Edinburgh has Christmas menu?

• September 2, 2014 / 2:06 pm

It was! You have to visit when you are in Edinburgh next.

6. September 1, 2014 / 10:06 pm

Totally sounds like I wont be worried to drop a few bills to be able to do the happy happy joy dance!! Thanks B, so great you linked up with us again.

• September 2, 2014 / 2:07 pm

Yep. I am sure you will enjoy it when you visit.

7. September 2, 2014 / 5:00 am

First off, its been AGES since anyone referenced Ren & Stimpy, thank you for bringing back a childhood memory. The Secret Garden looks absolutely divine. I really like the idea of a secluded oasis, as this seems to be, but 2 hours seems like a relatively short time for the plethora of food you seemed to get. The raspberry/ice cream with spun sugar looks sinful, I would love to get my hands on it! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• September 2, 2014 / 2:10 pm

Hahaha, I am glad you enjoyed it. Yeah that 2-hour limit is a bit silly considering how long it takes to get the food to the table and the ordering….but the food its just lovely and the surroundings a treat.

8. September 2, 2014 / 8:00 am

I'd not heard of this place – it looks like a real escape from the bustle of the Royal Mile and the city outside! And the food looks wonderful as well :). I'll be trying it next time I'm in Edinburgh!

• September 2, 2014 / 2:11 pm

It really is an escape from the bustle on the royal mile. Very quiet and just relaxed ambiance.

9. September 2, 2014 / 9:14 am

I have to say Bianca I'm not a fan of the food you mentioned (don't mind me, it's a misconception I have about Scottish food without ever trying it) but the descriptions you made… Now I don't know anymore lol You got me questioning myself! Sounds like a great place but I had to adjust to the two hour limit per table… Maybe it's a Portuguese thing, we eat, we drink, we talk a lot, we order some more, we eat, talk more… I'm guessing because the service is good they're not pushy if you're "slower"?

• September 2, 2014 / 2:14 pm

Yeah the 2 hour limit is a bit of a downer but they werent pushy as we were a bit slow and by the time the food came and when we order dessert and everything else it had gone over the 2 hours.

10. September 2, 2014 / 1:59 pm

Well, it's a shame that when we went to Edinburgh we ate at the Frakenstein as we dont know any places.. well, this is indeed a secret garden and thank you for revealing this secret! lol! Will definitely try to go there next time!

• September 2, 2014 / 2:15 pm

Shhhh! Dont tell anyone! Haha well I think that's reason enough to head back to Edinburgh.

11. September 2, 2014 / 2:01 pm

Man, I can't believed I missed this when I was in Scotland! It looks amazing! Love the decor!

• September 2, 2014 / 2:16 pm

I think you now have a reason to go back 😛

12. September 2, 2014 / 3:29 pm

Looks fabulous – almost worth a special trip to Edinburgh!

• September 3, 2014 / 1:18 pm

It really is! An excuse will for actually as Edinburgh is just beautiful.

13. September 2, 2014 / 7:55 pm

I have yet to visit, glad to hear you loved Edinburgh though! Stunning photos too 🙂

• September 3, 2014 / 1:19 pm

Thanks Emma, I am sure you will love it when you go.

14. September 2, 2014 / 8:24 pm

Oh, that lamb wellington sounds so good. Based on your description and photos, the Witchery looks to be a must do for Edinburgh.

• September 3, 2014 / 1:20 pm

It was just delightful! I would so be up for another trip just to taste it again.

15. September 3, 2014 / 6:00 pm

Oh my gosh . . . that Lamb Wellington sounds divine! I dont think I have ever had a lamb wellington before come to think of it. Your posts ALWAYS make me start drooling. It is actually unbearable sometimes. I like the way you combined the photos of the cutlery, the wine glasses, and other details from the table. Really makes me feel like I am sitting right there with you!

16. September 4, 2014 / 6:01 am

Wow! Those photos are amazing! That place looks awesome. And delicious 🙂

17. September 4, 2014 / 7:56 pm

This looks like a fantastic way to spend an evening. I've always wanted to discover a secret garden after reading the book as a child.

18. September 4, 2014 / 9:12 pm

What a wonderfully scenic restaurant. I was really looking forward to this post, and it hasn't disappointed. If anything, it made me want to book a flight to Scotland! Lamb wellington sounds interesting. I have only ever heard of beef wellington before!

• September 5, 2014 / 5:31 pm

I had never heard or tasted lamb wellington as well until now. It was just delicious! I am glad the post didnt disappoint 😀

19. September 5, 2014 / 12:27 pm

The setting is classy and the meals look really mouthwatering.. What's the price range? I'd assume upper end..?

20. September 5, 2014 / 10:00 pm

Looks like a superb place to sup. You got some great photos, that can be tricky with low restaurant lighting. Bravo!

• September 9, 2014 / 8:05 am

Thanks! I tend to use manual settings when shooting at night or dark settings. That way I have better control of what comes out. 😀

21. September 6, 2014 / 4:43 pm

This looks like a great restaurant! I have only been to Edinburgh once, and it was for my job, so I unfortunately did not have much time to explore the city or it`s restaurants. But I loved it, and hope to come back some day! Mmmm, that cake looks delicious! Is it chocolate?

• September 9, 2014 / 8:11 am

Yep!…oooh sooo delicious choooocoolate 😛

22. September 9, 2014 / 11:23 am

amazing place! love it!

23. September 10, 2014 / 4:01 am

I've actually read about this place, it looks way cooler than i imagined!

• September 11, 2014 / 9:16 am

Yep! It really is. You should visit definitely.

24. Maria
    September 27, 2018 / 2:38 pm

Wow. A Secret Garden to enjoy food? This is definitely going on my list. Lol, enjoying a city through its food is so much fun you know! Thanks for the recommendation, I have been trying to find The Witchery Edinburgh reviews. I think I already love that they serve amazing meals and the setting of the restaurant is just one to check out when we visit Scotland in February next year for Valentine’s day.

25. Tabitha D.
    September 29, 2018 / 6:35 pm

Wow, this place is stunning and right up my alley! I have an issue with flying, it terrifies me, so I have never really been anywhere too far from home. I am hoping to one day get over my fears and visit places like the Witchery. Until then, I follow blogs like yours so I can live through other people’s experiences. Really enjoyed reading through this one a lot 🙂