Symphony of Lights | Things To Do In Hong Kong

symphony of lights hong kong

Hong Kong is just like London, both cities are just as awake during the night as they are in the day. Hong Kong does not sleep at night. The city is still busy and bustling as if to prepare for the morning and with that, many things to do in Hong Kong, day or night. When morning comes, it’s more bustling and when evening approaches yet more bustling – but this time with a  little bright treat! It’s just so beautiful and so the exploring continues into the night for more sights to set upon the eyes. In this case the Symphony of Lights! If you are in Hong Kong there is no double you will one to add this on your list of things to do in Hong Kong.

This is Hong Kong’s famous symphony of lights; a multimedia light show that comprises of five themes; Awakening, Energy, Heritage, Partnership, and Celebration. These celebrate the diversity, energy, and spirit of Hong Kong. Also named as the ‘Worlds largest Permanent Light and Sound Show’, while in Hong Kong you cannot miss the lights as the lasers can be seen from miles away. After mingling around the city exploring and eating my weight in food in Kowloon’s food district it was time to head down to Victoria Harbor to rest my feet, let my food to settle before dessert and catch the Symphony of Lights show. These are some shots taken from Kowloon looking on Hong Kong Island’s light show. For more on other places to check out in Hong Kong, check out the munching Travellers guide on things to do in Hong Kong beyond shopping.

If you have seen the light show, what did you think of it?

symphony of lights hong kong
symphony of lights hong kong Kowloon Food District
symphony of lights hong kong
symphony of lights hong kong
symphony of lights hong kong - Victoria Harbour
symphony of lights hong kong - Victoria Harbour

Pin For Later

24 Comments

1. July 23, 2014 / 10:21 pm

What kind of a camera do you use? I am curious because whatever you're using performs superbly in low-light. Do you use a tripod?

• July 24, 2014 / 7:57 am

I have a Nikon D3100 DSLR, its by no means the best camera but it when I need to more control of the output I go on manual. I had to take some of these in slightly longer exposures. I didnt have a tripod at the time so I just had too stop breathing for a few seconds to avoid the blurs 🙂 …better yet if you have a surface near by that you can put the camera on its even better.

2. July 23, 2014 / 10:39 pm

love love love these photos! I was watching amazing race Canada last night and they went to Hong Kong- so cool! Except they had to eat snake soup and snake bile…that wasn't so cool.

• July 24, 2014 / 7:59 am

Snake Bile?! No thanks! I can confirm that there was not bile of any snake passing my lips on this whole trip and it will continue to stay that way 🙂

3. July 24, 2014 / 12:06 pm

Wow, gorgeous photos! This really makes me want to visit Hong Kong!

• July 27, 2014 / 8:34 pm

Oh, how did you like your visit any way? I still would like to see your pictures….send me a link and I will drop by 😀

4. July 26, 2014 / 3:03 am

Absolutely stunning photos!!! I definitely want to go one day

5. July 27, 2014 / 10:32 pm

Aw, that brings back fond memories. I went to HK for my honeymoon and absolutely loved the light shows at night.

• July 28, 2014 / 7:36 am

That sounds nice and it definitely is a beautiful destination for a honeymoon as it just offers such a variety of things and places to see and experience.

6. July 28, 2014 / 5:52 am

The photo of the skyline with the Star Cruises boat on the water is my favorite. isn't Hong Kong terrific? We stayed in a hotel where we could watch the light show from our window. It was a great way to get the kids excited about going back to the room, and yet it gave us something to do once we got there.

• July 28, 2014 / 7:38 am

That sounds like such a cool experience to have as a kid. I think they will treasure those moments when they can tell their friends of such experiences while travelling with families. Next time I am back in HK I will try and get a room with that view too.

7. July 30, 2014 / 2:35 am

I'm really looking forward to seeing the light show when I'm in Hong Kong!

• July 31, 2014 / 6:44 pm

I know it! You could definitely stay up all night coming up with various ways to creatively capture the architecture and all the lights.

8. July 31, 2014 / 6:54 am

Beautiful view. Now I want to see Hong Kong at night ASAP.

9. July 31, 2014 / 5:12 pm

What a cool post! I would love to take a nighttime walk around Hong Kong. It actually looks way more exciting at night than it does in the daytime. I can't believe they have such a cool show nightly.

• July 31, 2014 / 6:46 pm

It lights definitely add a bit of atmosphere at night and its a totally different feel altogether. You have to see it for yourself.

10. August 1, 2014 / 3:06 am

Reminds me a lot of New York City. Your photos are stunning!