Great the best of both island and main island living with tips on how to get from Athens to Mykonos. Athens is the largest city in Greece and the capital. It is also the perfect starting point for island hopping in Greece. Below I will be sharing tops tips on how to travel from Athens to Mykonos by ferry and flight. All from one of the world’s oldest cities in the world that is visited by millions of people throughout the year.
Travel from Athens to Mykonos, the island located at the centre of Cyclades complex encompasses are a number of ferry options. There are several options for travelling by ferry to Mykonos from Athens so if you are looking for tips on how to get from Athens to Mykonos by ferry in addition to the cost of ferry from Athens to Mykonos than you are in the right place.
On the blog I have also shared tips on choosing the best area to stay in Mykonos as well as how to travel from Mykonos to Santorini should you have time to add that to your itinerary. The best way to get from Athens to Mykonos is by ferries with an average ferry duration of around 2 hours, it also by far the cheapest if try to go from Athens to Mykonos by ferry or flight.
- The Best Hotels In Santorini
- Things To Do In Santorini
- Athens Photo Diary
- The Best Beaches In Santorini
- 1 Ferry Ports in Athens: How To Get From Athens To Mykonos
- 2 Ferry Schedule To Get From Athens To Mykonos
- 3 Athens To Mykonos Flights
Ferry Ports in Athens: How To Get From Athens To Mykonos
If you are one of those people asking yourself just how do you get from Athens to Mykonos, then below should answer your questions. Athen has 3 main large ferry ports; Piraeus, Rafina and Lavrio all of which run differing services for the Athens to Mykonos boat. These will take you to Mykonos, Crete, and Santorini to name a few Greek islands. To check the ferry times leaving from Athens to other Greek islands including Mykonos, use Omio. It also shows the flight options too.
Below you will so find details of the websites to buy the ferry tickets as well as see the Athens to Mykonos ferry schedule from each of the ports below. The Mykonos to Athens ferry duration further below also give you an idea of just how far is Mykonos from Athens. For tips on best way to get to Mykonos from Athens continue below.
Piraeus Ferry Port: This is a large port so its best to know which port your boat from Athen to Mykonos leaves from so you can tell your taxi driver or so you know the best stop for the bus. Can easily be reached from Athens by bus, metro or taxi. Taxis take about 30 minutes from the Athens city centre and cost about 20-30 Euros. There are no direct buses to Piraeus port, you need to take bus 40 or 49 from the city center to Piraeus and from their its a 10-15 minute walk to Piraeus ferry port. By metro, you need to take the green line in Athens with ends at Piraeus ferry port.
Rafina Ferry Port: This is the second largest of the 3 Athens ferry ports. There are no direct metro lines from Athens city centre to Rafina port. You have to take the blue line to Nomismatokopio metro and from their take a taxi or bus to Rafina ferry port. The taxis from city centre cost about 50 Euros but much more in the late evening and take a little over 1 hour depending on traffic. A lot easier to combing metro and taxi as the taxi from Nomismatokopio takes about 30 minutes. To use the bus bear in mind that the journey takes a minimum of 70 minutes depending on traffic. Buses leave from Pedion Areos in Athens city centre.
Lavrio Ferry Port: This is located on the southern part of Athens and serves few Cyclades islands. To get to Lavrio ferry port from Athens city centre by taxi, you are looking at about 70-80 minutes depending on traffic and costs about 60 Euros but can cost as close to 100 Euros in the evening. By Metro the closes you can get to the port is by way of a tram from Syntagma or Faliro to Voula and then from there, you can take a taxi for about 30 minutes. To travel by bus, you need to take a 2-hour bus from Pedion Areos in Athens centre or take the green line metro to Victoria station and then walk up to Heiden street.
Athens Airport to Ferry Ports: Taxis from Athens airport to the ferry ports take roughly 30-60 minutes. From Athens airport to Piraeus ferry port by taxi, the journey is about 50 minutes cost about 50 Euros, from Athens airport to Rafina ferry port is about 2o minutes and costs about 30 Euros. From Athens airport to Lavrios ferry port by taxi its about 30 minutes and costs roughly about 50 Euros.
Ferry Schedule To Get From Athens To Mykonos
In the summer season, the boat ride from Athens to Mykonos operate close to 4 ferries or more per day. There are various operators operating between Athens and Mykonos. If you are wondering how long is the ferry from Athens to Mykonos, also bear in mind that the ferry schedule from Athens to Mykonos tend to change even at the last minute, so it is advisable to thoroughly check and confirm the sailing times beforehand even for the Athens to Mykonos fast ferry. Below are the ferry service providers:
Ferry Schedule From Athens To Mykonos
- Sea Jets: Champion Jet 1 by Sea Jets ferry ride from Athens to Mykonos leaves at 7:00 A.M. and reaches Mykonos at 9:40 A.M. It runs on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. This is one of the fastest ferry from Athens to Mykonos.
- Sea Jet Athens to Mykonos ferry cost: 59.7 Euros.
- Sea Jets Athens to Mykonos by ferry how long: Ferry travel time is 2 hours 40 minutes.
- Blue Star Ferries: Blue Star Naxos ferry ride from Athens to Mykonos by 7:30 A.M. and arrives at Mykonos destination at 12:45 P.M. This is a comparatively long duration ferry ride since the boat is a conventional ferry. It runs on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. The Blue Start ferry is among the cheapest ferry operators.
- Blue Star Ferry from Athens to Mykonos ferry cost: 36.5 Euros
- Blue Star Ferry from Athens to Mykonos By ferry Duration: Ferry travel time is 5 hours 15 minutes.
- Fast Ferries: Ekaterini P from Fast Ferries ferry ride from Athens to Mykonos leaves the Athens port at 7:30 A.M. and reaches Mykonos by 11:50 A.M. It runs on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. The Theologos P runs on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays. It leaves Athens by 5:30 P.M. and reaches Mykonos at 10:10 P.M.
- Fast Ferry from Athens to Mykonos ferry cost: 29 Euros
- Fast Ferry from Athens to Mykonos By ferry Duration: Ferry travel time is 4 hours.
- Golden Star Ferries: Golden Star Ferries ferry time from Athens to Mykonos departs from Athens at 7:50 A.M. and arrives at Mykonos by 12:15 P.M. It operates on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays.
- Golden Star Ferry from Athens to Mykonos ferry cost: 35 Euros
- Hellenic Seaways: NHSOS Mykonos leaves Athens at 4:00 P.M. and reaches Mykonos at 9:10 P.M. It is available on Fridays, Mondays, and Wednesdays. The trip costs somewhere around 35 Euros.
- Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Athens to Mykonos ferry cost: 35 Euros
- Hellenic Seaways Ferry from Athens to Mykonos By ferry Duration: Ferry travel time is 4 hours and 30 minutes
Websites To Book Athens To Mykonos Ferry Tickets
From the sites below, you can also get the Athens to Mykonos ferry timetable showing you how long ferry from Athens to Mykonos and other islands take. While each ferry company will have their own site, I highly recommend using Omio as it will provide times and prices for all ferry options on one page without looking at several sites.
Contacts For Ferries Operating in Athens and Mykonos:
To contact the ferry companies directly if you have further questions on the Mykonos Athens ferry schedule, cost and cancellations see details below.
- Sea Jet
- Astoggos and Akti Tzelepi 2, 185 31 Piraeus
- Contact Number: 210 4121001, 210 4121901
- For reservations, contact: 210 4190233, 210 4101480
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Blue Star Ferries
- 1-7 Lysikratuous & Evripidou Street, 17674 Kallithea, Athens, Greece
- Contact Number: +30-210-8919800
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Fast Ferries
- 10 Skouze Str, 18536, Piraeu, Attica, Greece
- Contact Number: +30 210 4182005, 4182163
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Golden Star Ferries
- 133 Filonos str, Pireaus 18536, 2nd Floor
- For more information and reservations, call +30 801 222 4000
- Or you can contact them at [email protected]
- Hellenic Seaways
- 6 Astiggos St., Karaiskaki Sq, 185 31 Piraeus, Greece
- Contact Numbers: +30 210 4199100
- 24/7 Call Center: +30 210 4199000
- E-mail: [email protected]
Advanced Booking Of Tickets For The Athens Mykonos Ferry
When you buy the tickets for the ferry from Mykonos to Athens or ferry from Athen to Mykonos are booked in advance, you have to pick them up at the port, just prior to sailing. The ticketing booths do not take a long time to find, and the pick-up does not generally pose any hassles. Arriving an hour before the departure should be convenient enough.
Usually, the Mykonos Athens ferry never sell out and the tickets can be bought on the day of sailing. But prior online booking is recommended if you must have a particular ferry ride on a given day.
Athens To Mykonos Flights
During the summer season, there are a number of flights from Athens to Mykonos. Flying takes about 35 minutes excluding the airport transfers and security check. And this is the fastest way to reach the destination from Athens. You can easily search for flights on Expedia or Kayak.
In the months of July and August, there are as many as 18 flights flying between the 2 islands. The flights take off from the Athens International Airport and land at the Mykonos International Airport, which is a mere 10 minutes away from the Mykonos Town. The airline operators that cater to the travelers from Athens to Mykonos are:
- Aegean Airlines: Three Aegean airline flights operate between the two routes.
- One of the flights leaves at 10:45 A.M. and reaches Mykonos by 11:20 A.M.
- Another one departs Athens at 4:45 P.M. and reaching the destination close by 5:20 P.M.
- Yet another is a late evening flight leaving Athens at 7:05 P.M and reaching Mykonos by 7:40 P.M.
All the three flights take 35 minutes to reach the destination and all of them are non-stop flights. They cost around 280 Europs.
- Ryanair: This Airlines leaves Athens at 6:40 A.M. and reaches Mykonos by 7:30 A.M. It is a non-stop flight. The cost comes to approximately 50-100 Euros.
- Olympic Airlines: They operate a flight between Athens and Mykonos, which departs at 5:30 A.M and arrives at the destination by 6:10 A.M. Another flight is an evening one, which departs from Athens at 7:05 P.M. and reaches Mykonos at 7:40 P.M. The flight ticket would cost you somewhere around 150 Euros.
- Volotea: This non-stop flight departs from Athens at 12 noon and reaches Mykonos at 12:45 P.M. The single way trip will cost you about 160 Euros.
- Sky Express: This flight takes off from Athens airport at 11:20 A.M., reaching Mykonos by 12:05 P.M. 180 Euros is the approximate cost of the trip.
- Hahn Air: Their airplane takes off from the Athens airport at 11:20 A.M., reaching Mykonos at 12:05 P.M. The ticket costs about 220 Euros.
These are all non-stop flights from Athens to Mykonos
- The Best Hotels In Paris With Views Of The Eiffel Tower
- Where To Stay In Phuket
- How To See Florence In One Day
- A One Day Itinerary For London
So anything else we have missed? What else would you like to know about the ferry from Athens to Mykonos and the boat ride back for the Mykonos ferry to Athens?
Liked it? Share!
Titus - athens to mykonos by ferry how long
Hi Bee, thank you so much for putting this together. We have been trying to figure out how long they Athens to Mykonos by ferry is. This definitely ticks all the boxes as we have been searching through websites trying to figure out how to get from Athens to Mykonos and the best way to do this whether by ferry or flights.
Hi Titus, I am glad you found the post useful. This is exactly why I wanted to put it together as we found it hard trying to piece together information the Athens to Mykonos trip, whether we could do the Athens to Mykonos as a day trip as well as getting the Athens to Mykonos ferry durations. I definitely glad to hear you found it useful.
Woah. Nice! I’ve already used the Rafina Ferry Port to move to mykonos but I know others would be a good option too. I’ll totally go out to explore them when next I’m around. The other think a lot of people dont know is that there is also the Athens to Mykonos helicopter option. If you can afford it.
Hi Charlie, yes, I have read about the Athens to Mykonos helicopter service. I actually only found out about it after we had already done the trip from Athens to Mykonos by ferry. I guess that is something for next time.
A ferry ride sounds beautiful. I’d love to see the coasts and get a breath of fresh air. They don’t see too expensive, plus the schedule seems pretty liberal with times it’s operating. I assume there is food available for some of the longer ferry rides from Athens to Mykonos, or do people need to plan for that?
Sam, yes, most of the ferry rides from Athens to Mykonos will have a cafe. The food is not free but at least you can by a coffee or snack while you travel. You also do have the option to do Athens to Mykonos travel by air. Athens to Mykonos flight times are very short too.
This is such an awesome post we have been trying to gauge the distance from Athens to Mykonos trying to see the best way the journey from athens to Mykonos by ferry how long that takes as well. You managed to answer many of our questions in one post. We wanted to see if it was possible to Athens to Mykonos day trip? What are thought?
Hi Ana, I am glad you found that useful. Tecnically you can do the Athens to Mykonos day trip by Ferry. There are is a 7 am ferry arriving in Mykonos at 9.40am and you can explore the island for a couple of hours before heading back. I would however recommend an over night stay at least to really make the most of your time and see the most of Mykonos.
Greetings! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a qquick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading your posts. I am traveling solo to Greece and have been trying to figure out how to get to Mykonos without having to get a flight. Not sure which is cheap yet.
Hey do you know if the Athens to Mykonos fast ferry is smooth or choppy like a speed. I get seasick but also don’t want to take the slow boats.
I am moving to Athens in February and would love to visit as many islands as possible. Athens to Mykonos ferry how long is the ferry do you know? Can you also tell me what port to use in Athens to get to Mykonos?
Hi, there are several options for ferries doing the Athens to Mykonos journey. I have details the timings above. Majority of the fast ferries to Mykonos leave from Rafina Port. Although you also have ferries that take about 4 hours leaving from Pireus Port. For example the Golden Star Ferry leaves from Rafina and only takes 2.5 hours to Mykonos. You also have the SeaJets leaving from Pireus at 7am from Athens to Mykonos also only taking 2 hours and 33 minutes. It just depends on which port you are closest to and which one has tickets available for the dates you need. Hope that helps.
We’ll visit Athens this summer with a small group of friends and I’m the one in charge of planning everything out. We’ve already bought our tickets so now we have to figure out where to stay and what to do – we’ll stay there for 6 days. Mykonos is a hot spot for us after seeing some holiday pictures from my cousin so this is a must too. My question is how and what kind of boat to rent that will be enough for a group of 10 people?
Hi Claire, you can do a charter. Especially as there are already quite a good number of you so the price should be reasonable. Check out my post on Sailing Santorini for boat charter companies.