When it comes to Swakopmund accommodation there is plenty to choose from. We had an amazing adventure in Namibia and below I will share tips on everything from cheap accommodation in Swakopmund, affordable self-catering accommodation to luxury accommodation in Swakopmund on the beachfront. I have always believed that where you stay when you are on a holiday or an extended road trip can make or break a holiday.
Staying in the busy, noisy and hectic parts of a city when you travel don’t do your search for rest and relaxation any justice, nor does staying so far away that it makes exploring difficult. Out African vacation last year saw my boyfriend and I explore Zambia, before driving to Botswana for his first African safari vacation, then extending our road trip to Namibia’s desert dunes. This was of course where we were going to be doing the sandboarding in the desert dunes, the thing that bucket lists are made of. It’s been on my bucket list for a long, long time. My brother who now lives in Botswana joined us for this part of the trip too, which also made things easier as we could take turns to drive the long distances.
If you are a lover of road trips I would highly, highly, recommend driving in Namibia! The roads are endless with beautiful backdrops of mountains and desert landscapes. There are many stops for markets, small townships along the way, not to mention the roadsides have small tables and seats built for pit stops for a break from driving or just a stop for lunch. It’s great to see that the roadsides have designated stops, almost as if to encourage resting between long drives. For additional tips make sure you check out my itinerary post on how to do 15 days in Namibia, Botswana and Victoria Falls.
- 1 Our Stay In Swakopmund At Gecko Ridge
- 2 Where To Stay In Swakopmund | Available Options For Swakopmund
- 3 Shots From Our Stay In Swakopmund
- 4 Planning Your Visit To Namibia
- 5 Swakopmund Sandboarding and Activities in Namibia
Our Stay In Swakopmund At Gecko Ridge
Whatever your budget there are plenty of options for where to stay in Swakopmund. There are plenty of options, from pet-friendly accommodation in Swakopmund. If you are after budget accommodation that is that too, including plenty of options for backpackers too. For a full list of hotels in Swakopmund click here.
Budget Hotels And Hostels
All of these places are all under £40 per night. With many starting at £20 per night. Whether you are looking for affordable accommodation in Swakopmund near the beach, there are many cheap hostels and hotels close to the beach and also offer many activities on site.
- Salty Jackal Backpackers: Located only 0.7 miles from Otavi-Bahnhof, Salty Jackal Backpackers offers accommodation with a fitness centre, free private parking, a bar and a shared lounge. There is free WiFi throughout the property. The property offers bike hire and features a garden and barbecue.
- Desert Pillow: Located 0.6 miles of Woermann Brock Vineta Shopping Centre and 0.7 miles of Ocean View Shopping Centre, Desert Pillow provides accommodation with a garden and free WiFi throughout the property as well as free private parking for guests who drive. The property offers garden views, a barbecue and a 24-hour front desk.
- African View Accommodation: Located only 1.5 miles from Woermann Brock Vineta Shopping Centre, 1.7 miles from Martin Luther Steam Locomotive, and 2.2 miles from Otavi-Bahnhof.
- Marula Cottage: Boasting a terrace and luggage storage space, Marula Cottage is attractively set in Swakopmund, 1.2 miles from Ocean View Shopping Centre and 3.1 miles from Woermann Brock Vineta Shopping Centre. This apartment has a garden, barbecue facilities, free WiFi and free private parking. If you are looking for cheap self-catering accommodation in Swakopmund Namibia, it doesn’t get better than this.
- Bushbabies Inn: Situated in Swakopmund and with Otavi-Bahnhof reachable within 1.2 km, Bushbabies Inn features a garden, non-smoking rooms, free WiFi and barbecue facilities. The property is close to National Marine Aquarium, Marine Denkmal and German Evangelical Lutheran Church.
- Swakopmund Backpackers: Swakopmund Backpackers is located in Swakopmund, 200 yards from National Marine Aquarium (Swakopmund) and 200 yards from the Ministry of Fisheries. There is a fully-equipped kitchen and the rooms have a shared bathroom fitted with a shower. Swakopmund Adventure Park & Paintball Centre is 450 yards from Swakopmund Backpackers, while Living Desert Snake Park (Swakopmund) is 450 yards from the property. The nearest airport is Walvis Bay Airport, 21.7 miles from the property.
- Sea View Backpackers: Set 0.7 miles from Atlanta cinema, Sea View Backpackers offers accommodation with a bar, free private parking, a shared lounge and a garden. Among the facilities at this property are a shared kitchen and a tour desk, along with free WiFi throughout the property. The hostel has family rooms. At the hostel all rooms have a wardrobe and a private bathroom. Sea View Backpackers offers a barbecue. Guests at the accommodation will be able to enjoy activities in and around Swakopmund, like cycling. Popular points of interest near Sea View Backpackers include Artist Arcade Elton Mugomo, Otavi-Bahnhof and Kristall Galerie.
The following guesthouses and hotels all offer amazing value for money fall between £45 and £85 per night. If you are looking for affordable self catering accommodation in Swakopmund, there are amazing options. Below are some of these
- House Brucken: Located just 200 yards from Otavi-Bahnhof, House Brucken offers accommodation in Swakopmund with access to a shared lounge, barbecue facilities, as well as dry cleaning services. This apartment provides free private parking, a shared kitchen and free WiFi. The apartment features 3 bedrooms, a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, an equipped kitchen with a microwave and a fridge, a washing machine, and 2 bathrooms with a shower. For added convenience, the property can provide towels and bed linen for an extra charge. A bicycle rental service is available at the apartment.
- Sea Wind Self Catering Cottages: Offering free WiFi, Sea Wind Self Catering Cottages is set in Swakopmund, a 5-minute drive from Ocean View Shopping Centre. Every room includes a flat-screen TV. Certain rooms include a seating area and built-in, outdoor BBQ facilities for your convenience. Enjoy a cup of tea on your patio. Each cottage has a private bathroom. Sea Wind Self Catering Cottages offers a free daily cleaning service for your convenience. Platz Am Meer Shopping Mall, Paddock Garden park and the beach are all within a 10-minute walk of Sea Wind. Swakopmund Airport is 5.6 miles away from the property. Very affordable and in my eyes perfectly cheap self-catering accommodation in Swakopmund.
- Salty Breeze Holiday Flat: Offering barbecue facilities and city view, Salty Breeze Holiday Flat is located in Swakopmund, less than 0.6 miles from Atlanta cinema and a 12-minute walk from Artist Arcade Elton Mugomo. This property offers access to a balcony, free private parking and free WiFi.
- Stay @Swakop: Situated 1.1 miles from Otavi-Bahnhof, Stay @ Swakop features accommodation with a shared lounge, free private parking, a garden and barbecue facilities. Among the facilities at this property are room service and a tour desk, along with free WiFi throughout the property. The guest house has family rooms. At the guest house, the rooms are fitted with a desk, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom. All rooms will provide guests with a wardrobe and a kettle. Stay @ Swakop offers a continental or buffet breakfast. The accommodation offers a sun terrace. Martin Luther Steam Locomotive is 1.4 miles from Stay @ Swakop, while Atlanta cinema is 1.5 miles from the property.
- Prost Hotel: Featuring free WiFi throughout the property, Prost Hotel Swakopmund Namibia offers accommodation in the heart of Swakopmund. The hotel has a 24-hour front desk. The air-conditioned rooms are equipped with a flat-screen TV, tea-and-coffee making facilities and private bathroom. Laundry services are available for guests and airport transfers can be arranged for a surcharge. Free private parking is available on site. Walvis Bay Airport is 28.6 miles away.
Luxury Hotels In Swakopmund
The luxury accommodation in Swakopmund below ranges from £100 and above. You can choose from beachfront accommodation in Swakopmund to hotels, spas and villas with beautiful views of the ocean.
- Seaside Hotel & Spa: Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, all rooms and suites at SeaSide Hotel & Spa are right by sandy Swakopmund Beach. The spa provides massages, a sauna and Roman bath facing the ocean. Including a balcony or terrace and a private bathroom, all the air-conditioned accommodation is decorated in neutral colours. Some have direct access to the beach. Featuring a spa bath, the suites also have a separate lounge with fireplace and chandeliers. With floor-to-ceiling windows offering ocean views, the restaurant serves a daily breakfast and a range of seafood and international cuisine. Room service and packed lunches can be arranged and the bar has several wines and cigars. Pedicures, manicures and other wellness treatments are available at the spa. The 24-hour front desk can book tours such as dolphin-watching cruises, camel rides and desert trips. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout. Central Swakopmund is 4.7 miles from Hotel SeaSide and there is free parking on site.
- Swakopmund Beachfront Apartment: Featuring sea views, Swakopmund Beach Front Apartment features accommodation with a patio and a kettle, around 0.9 miles from Otavi-Bahnhof. The air-conditioned accommodation is 0.8 miles from Artist Arcade Elton Mugomo, and guests benefit from complimentary WiFi and private parking available on site. A car rental service is available at the apartment. Popular points of interest near Swakopmund Beach Front Apartment include Atlanta cinema, National Marine Aquarium and Hohenzollernhaus.
- Rössmund Lodge: Set 3.7 miles from Martin Luther Steam Locomotive, Rössmund Lodge offers accommodation with a restaurant, free private parking, an outdoor swimming pool and a bar. Among the facilities at this property are room service and a shared lounge, along with free WiFi throughout the property. The property offers car hire and features a garden and children’s playground. Rössmund Lodge offers a continental or buffet breakfast.
- Swakopmund Hotel & Entertainment Centre: Built in and around the old German Station Building, this modern hotel features 2 cinemas, a casino and a squash court. The outdoor pool and health club offers guests a variety of leisure options during the day. Including free Wi-Fi access, all air-conditioned rooms at Swakopmund Hotel & Entertainment Centre come with a TV, minibar and private bathroom. Some rooms have a private terrace overlooking the gardens. For dinner, there are a variety of Namibian and international dishes on the menu. Room service is conveniently available 24/7. Guests can practice their skills on the tennis court or work out in the gym. A shuttle service can be arranged to the nearby desert golf course, which is a 10-minute drive away.
Shots From Our Stay In Swakopmund
Planning Your Visit To Namibia
- If you are dreaming of visiting Nambia for a safari or vacation I have shared a condensed version our out month-long itinerary for African adventures. I shared a 15-day itinerary for Namibia, Botswana and Victoria Falls.
- Getting to Swakopmund is super easy. You have the option of arriving via Windhoek and then driving or taking a bus to Swakopmund. The drive is about 4 hours. We rented a car as it makes exploring easier. There are also two airports near Swakopmund. One airport in Swakopmund and the Walvis Bay airport is also close by. You can search for flight deals as well as internal flights within Namibia if you arrive from the main city and need to get to Swakopmund or Walvis Bay without driving the 4 hours.
- If it’s your first time visiting Africa or Namibia I have plenty of posts covering travels in Namibia as well as a post with tips on how to plan a trip to Africa.
- I have also shared tips on things to do in Swakopmund to get you exploring this beautiful city in Namibia.
I share a post on our dune bashing in the Namibian dunes but there are many tours and adventures available in Swakopmund and nearby Skeleton Coast. You can find your pick of tours from Viator or Get Your Guide.
- How To Get To Maun From Kasane
- 31 Beautiful Places To Visit In Namibia
- Things To Do In Walvis Bay
- Where To Stay In Kasane Botswana
- Things To Do In Livingstone Zambia