5 Places To Get The Best Views Of London Skyline

Sunset In London | 5 Top Places For The Best Sunset Views Of The London Skyline

To fully appreciate the London skyline one must see it from many of London’s best viewing decks. A sunset in London in the summer is truly magical. A sunrise in London even better. Here I share 5 of London’s best places to get a taste of the best places for spotting a sunset in London. Read on for tips from a local!

So many times we see pictures of sunsets in exotic places and those beautiful sunset shots taken on the beach somewhere that evoke that “wish you where here” type of feeling. Funny how sometimes we can experience similar sunsets and never truly appreciate them until, well you see them up high.

Also See:

We all take for granted things that are only a stone’s throw in our cities. At the end of 2014 I thought it was time to suck it up and explore places I have come to label as tourist traps. One such place I have avoided in all my 20+ years of living in London is St Paul’s Cathedral. I have seen this place daily while washing dishes at home(view from the kitchen window) and have now moved to a new flat(2 years, not so new!), I have an even prettier view from my root top of the whole city in all its Panorama. I thought I could not end 2014 without stepping foot inside the Cathedral.  Considering, churches, temples, and religious buildings are among the first places I want to see when I travel and here I was, having ignored this beautiful treasures in my own city. Pure blasphemy!
Having managed to finally go inside Tower Castle after ignoring it for the same reasons I mentioned above. I wanted to complete 2014 by appreciating a little more of my home front treasures. I was not disappointed too! The inside of the building is beautiful. From the murals in the whispering gallery to the ornate and gold detailing in the choir gallery. My other reason for going was off course for the sunset! This wasnt something that was planned for a particular day but I wanted to go when the sun was out in London(for anyone that has been to London, you know how elusive the sun can be).
Forgetting my annoyance at paying a ridiculous sum to get in, it was onwards and upwards as we climbed(breathlessly) to the top for the views of the city…tell me that Sunset isn’t awe-inspiring?
So, is there any part of the city where you are currently living are you hoping to rediscover or now seeing in a whole new light?

London Skyline Views | 5 Top Places To Catch The Sunset in London

1. London Eye– Paid entrance but great views of London’s Westend, Big Ben, and sights on the Thames.

2.  Sky Garden at the Walkie TalkiePaid (you book to eat at the restaurants) and free entrance tickets available via their website, although there is a waiting time if you are particular about dates you can go. I have also linked on my blog post on the views and what to expect.

3. One Change Root Top Terrace – Free entrance and the views are pretty cool. I have linked to a post on my blog.

4.The Shard– This is a paid entrance but the views are amazing! They open late and early so its perfect for sunrise and sunsets views.

5. St Pauls Cathedral  – Paid entrance as you have access to the cathedral and audio tour. Shots below were all taken from one of the open galleries at the top of the cathedral.

Sunset In London | 5 Top Places For The Best Sunset Views Of The London Skyline

Sunset In London | 5 Top Places For The Best Sunset Views Of The London Skyline 5 Places To Get The Best Views Of London Skyline

Sunset In London | 5 Top Places For The Best Sunset Views Of The London Skyline

Like this Post? Share or Pin It For Later.
5 Places To Get The Best Views Of London Skyline

17 Comments

1. February 20, 2015 / 8:00 pm

wow amazing views indeed! Looking forward to visit the sky gardens and the shard! I want to visit some of the highest points in london for free or maybe a reasonable price. I have head that London is expensive.

2. February 21, 2015 / 4:29 am

Wow these are some amazing shots and resolutions. Would love to be able to photograph some of the best views in London at night for free of course if that even possible.

3. February 21, 2015 / 4:54 am

London is definitely a city I want to visit someday, and now I want to see the sunset there too! I would love to check out some of the best views in London from restaurants. Wouldnt it be amazing to be dinning in Aqua Shard London as you take in the views of the London Skyline?

• February 23, 2015 / 2:39 pm

Yep, providing its not raining it has some amazing vantage points to catch the sun as it disappears behind some of the city's best sky scrappers.

4. February 21, 2015 / 3:41 pm

Love the pictures and I love London, it's a great city! These are some of the best views of London skyline I have ever seen. Such beautiful London city views. I would also add the best hills in London to your list. Maybe OXO tower view in London. You can also include best views of London from south London.

5. February 21, 2015 / 5:56 pm

Just amazing. Such beautiful pics of London These are some of the best places to view in London in all its finest. I want to see London city from these view point the next time I am in London. I definitely now have 360 view of London on my list of London sceneries to check out.

6. February 21, 2015 / 11:13 pm

Beautiful sunset pics! london top view are just impressive I've never heard of the One New Change terrace – will have to check it out when I'm in London! I don't know how it is for sunset, but the cafe on the top floor of the Tate Modern has a really pretty view of the Millennium bridge and St. Paul's.

• February 23, 2015 / 2:37 pm

Yep. That offers great views of St Pauls but you cannot see much of London's Skyline from there. New Change is literary next to St Pauls – the New Change Mall next to the cathedral is where you can find the other spot for a sunset with good views around London too.

7. February 22, 2015 / 6:49 am

These pictures are just amazing! I would love to see a London panoramic view in some of these places. Looks like these places offer some of the best scenery in London. Just look at these views in your pictures!

8. February 22, 2015 / 8:27 am

Oh, when I look at these pictures I have the need to visit London as soon as possible again. Great pictures!

9. February 22, 2015 / 1:55 pm

Wow – all these photos are absolutely gorgeous!!! Beautiful 🙂 The city of London at night is just such a cool sight! I wonder if there are any cool London cafes with a view I can check out on my next visit to London.

10. February 22, 2015 / 6:22 pm

Great photos, my dear! I had no idea there were so many amazing London scenic spots to check out in the city.

11. Shawn
    January 19, 2019 / 1:36 pm

This is so amazing. I live in London had no idea about some of these places. London views for free in many of these places where I though I had to pay. Just amazing!!! I came here searching for the best views in London at night and I got more than I bargained for. Thanks!

• February 3, 2019 / 5:35 pm

London is so amazing that you can still discover something new even when you live here.